Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sour grapes!

For weeks I have been watching the last  few late bunches of grapes slowly colour up on the grapevine on our pergola. The leaves have dried off into autumn tints but the the grapes were a tantalizing purple. Yesterday I took my trusty secateurs to the vine anticipating a reward for my work...quelle disappointment! The grapes were as as sour as vinegar.
 In a roundabout way this explains the words on my etegami, quoting from Aesop's fable of the Fox and the grapes. The fox you will remember was not able to jump high enough to eat the grapes so he concluded that they were not worth the effort. I guess this is a kind of a morality tale, the fox having 'sour grapes' about his failure. I've always had a lot of sympathy for the fox who could reconcile himself to failure when he came off second best.


Something we all have to do at times. Then again it could just be the pessimist in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment