Saturday, August 18, 2012

A visitor and a whiff of Spring.

A worrying visit by a Tawny Frogmouth who sat for several hours on the back verandah. I worried that he was ill but he seemed quite happy there on my table sheltering in the sun and out of the furious wind. He flew off at last after a small snack of dog food, leaving behind a small present of a regurgitated pellet of cockroach parts.

The wind today has played havoc with the garden but the freesias are blooming and the ones I have cut for indoors are perfuming the house, a pleasure I look forward to each year. It is said that those afflicted by a serious illness learn to appreciate their surroundings but I fear that if this should happen to me I would be overwhelmed  as I cannot imagine appreciating the beauty and wonder of  the Earth any more than I do now.

3 comments:

  1. Carole, I have received the lovely owl - thank you, he is gorgeous. They are such funny crumpled looking birds and so full of character. I saw a family of three (with a baby) roosting last summer in a very public sort of place and I was worried too, but they just don't seem at all scared of people. How thoughtful of him to leave the cockroach parts! I like your freesias too. No freesias here yet but there are hyacinths and crocuses and daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very, very gorgeous!
    Tawny Frogmouth is an amazing Owl! Your drawing is spot on beautiful.
    Thank you for thinking of me. Mr. Owl is gracing my desk during my sabbatical.
    Rains have returned to my gardens. The drought is broken for now. Happy Spring
    for you....Autumn is winking at us. I think I just must grow freesias next year....
    I can almost smell yours.
    Sending blessings and lots of gratitude for your friendship.
    Sherry, who dances with butterflies

    ReplyDelete