Saturday, March 15, 2014

Can you kill an earworm?

Living as we do atop a very popular outdoor restaurant we are treated during the summer months to a variety of live singers. This can be very pleasant, one night Reggae, another night Jazz but it is the performer who is channeling the "80's  who gives me pause. The nineteen eighties was a decade when popular music ran a gamut from bad to awful (no correspondence will be entered into on this subject). The young thing singing songs from this era (before she was born I believe) has a very sweet voice but, unfortunately, a very limited repertoire and we are treated to the same songs  in rotation several times a night. The song I find most irritating and which has lodged in my tinnitus affected ears has the refrain "you always take the weather with you, everywhere you go".
In an effort to exorcise this particular demon I thought why not use it for an etegami? The idea of umbrellas seemed particularly appropos for the words but unfortunately the image called up many of the songs with "umbrella" in the lyrics and I am now left with the equally annoying, " Umbrella" song by Rihanna!

Under my umbrella
(Ella ella, ay ay ay)
Under my umbrella
(Ella ella, ay ay ay)
Under my umbrella
(Ella ella, ay ay ay ay, ay ay)
See? Annoying!
I think I will just have to learn to ignore the earworms which creep into my head however difficult that may be.  Scientist have discovered that tinnitus sufferers are prone to this phenomenon which is possibly the brain's way of masking the annoying buzz, but...it ain't working folks, add a song to an annoying buzz and you have two things to drive you crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment