Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Are we there yet?

Much as I deplore the commercialization of our holidays and the 'celebration creep' that sees  Valentine's day  merchandise displayed almost immediately after Christmas only to be followed  by fluffy bunnies heralding Easter, I have been moved to make a couple of etegami to send to friends even though it is  weeks away. I could argue that a handmade card is non-commercial but I have to admit that I am just as sucked in as most people by the hype. Another excuse also to make a stamp.
I was a bit dismayed that the new stamp pad I purchased with the assurance that I could paint over it is a complete failure, one drop of paint and the stamped image bleeds so I have resorted to pastels to colour the image.
Another reason to make a Valentine this year is that Debbie has put out a call for cards on her mailart gallery HERE which will be posted next month.


The quote on the second card I found in a book,"People of the Book" by an Australian author Geraldine Brooks,an author who came to fiction through her many experiences as an overseas correspondent. In an interview she was asked where the quote came from but was unable to attribute it, I am sure it is a pearl of wisdom from a wise person. The Prof liked the card (he usually just grunts when shown them) for the wheat stamp, he being a plant geneticist who has been very involved with the wheat industry. As I type I am listening to a book called "Wheat Belly" which trashes wheat as a food and blames all of the ills of modern man on the 'nasty' grain which has been meddled with by scientists! He is not amused! Don't even get me started on "Gluten Free".


3 comments:

  1. Dear Origame,
    Lovely! What witty and wise posts and cards!! I love "hanga = stamped pictures."
    Cheers,Sadami

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is like 'to see infinity in a grain of sand' ... was that Blake? I like both of these very much - the repeat motif is very pretty. I also like gluten and glutenins, and I am pretty sure wheat is a tetrahexaploid, or maybe it's a hexatetraploid. The Prof will know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep,Blake.
    I recognize that there are people with ceoliac disease and other wheat intolerances but it just burns me up when these authors have to demonize the people (like himself) who work in good faith all of their lives to feed that scourge of the planet, the human race!! Aah just another conspiracy theory. BTW the Prof says Durum (pasta) wheat is Tetraploid and bread wheat is hexaploid.

    ReplyDelete