Saturday, September 4, 2010

Three days to go.

A fun morning at the local Girl Guides' clubhouse where they are having a "Trash & Treasure" sale.
Just went to support my granddaughter's troop. The money raised will help pay for their insurance for the coming year, a necessity nowadays.
Last year I had a stall but not able to this year besides, I have donated most of the succulents I grew to the children's  school which is currently having a remodel of their gardens. The plants do look nice in the ground, shall post a picture when they get established.
Snooping around my damp (yes again!) garden this AM these two beauties caught my eye, first a bulb which is I think a hemerocallus, a spectacularly flamboyant producer of stamens (very butch!) and the white plant is the common Australian native rock orchid which has a heavenly vannillary scent.
Winner in the olfactory stakes though at this time of year is surely the gorgeous freesia, an indescribably lovely perfume with undertones of cow manure LOL. That's how it seems to me  anyway, just a little counterpoint to the nice notes rather like a base note.
The other  thing about freesia perfume is that when I smell it I am 17 years old again. My Birthday party that year was a biggie (why am I thinking about birthdays?) and was made memorable by the bunch of freesias I got, plucked from his mother's garden, by the latest heartthrob.
Smells are very powerful in pulling out those long forgotten memories or is it just age that makes one remember the past so vividly and forget the last thing you heard?

No comments:

Post a Comment